In co-operation with KulturKontakt Austria, the Austrian Federal Chancellery makes available 50 residencies in Austria (Vienna and Salzburg) for the year 2019. Foreign artists can apply for this grant programme electronically via the www.artists-in-residence-austria.at platform.
The residency is designed to offer an opportunity to familiarise oneself with the Austrian art scene and cultural environment and to make contact with Austrian artists. Residents are expected to complete a project during their stay. In the field of cultural education, the stay is primarily designed to foster exchanges and networking and not the realisation of a project.
During their stay, the artists in residence will be made familiar with the art scene and cultural environment. Activities on offer include visits at galleries, studios and museums, contacts to the literature and publishing sector, as well as access to Vienna’s music life. Whenever possible, the residents will receive free tickets for art and book fairs, the international ImPuls Tanz dance festival and other events.
During their stay in Salzburg, the artists in residence will be taken care of by Kunstverein Salzburg. Residencies in Salzburg are only available for artists from the fields of the visual arts, artistic photography and media art.
There is the possibility of participating actively in the Artists-in-Residence-go-to-School-Programme of KulturKontakt Austria (the programme includes workshops at Austrian schools).
This call is open to foreign artists whose permanent place of residence is outside of Austria and who have completed their training. Austrian citizens cannot apply for this programme.
A high level of proficiency in English or German is required in order to enable participants to engage in a creative dialogue in an international context.
Participants are obliged to submit a final report about their stay.
The age limit for applicants is 40 years, i.e. the applicants’ date of birth has to be after December 31, 1978. If an application is submitted by a duo at least one of the artists has to be born after December 31, 1978, and the artistic career of both individuals must be presented.
Artists who have already participated in artist-in-residence-programmes organised by KulturKontakt Austria, the Austrian Federal Chancellery or the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, the Arts and Culture are not eligible for participation.
The artists in residence will be selected by sector-specific expert juries.
When submitting an application, applicants agree to parts of their application file (CV and examples of work) being forwarded to third parties for the purpose of organising exhibitions, readings, concerts, lectures etc.
You are urgently requested to heed the sector-specific information on the following pages!
Applications can be submitted for only one of the following disciplines:
· Visual arts *
· Art photography
· Media art **
· Composition (new music, electroacoustic music, experimental music)
· Literature for children and young people
· Literary translation
· Cultural education ***
* Applications from the sector of performing arts will not be accepted.
** For organisational reasons, the programme cannot accept applications from the film sector (shorts, feature film, documentary, avant-garde or experimental film etc.).
*** Cultural education. For an application in this sector please consider that cultural educators within the meaning of this call are responsible for the pedagogic part of an exhibition, concert, theatre etc. and in charge for the communication between the audience and the artists or the art. Cultural education can take place in a variety of settings, including arts education in formal and non formal educational institutions and educational programs in cultural institutions.
Length of stay varies as a function of the artistic discipline:
· Residency of 3 months for visual artists, art photographers, media artists, composers
· Residency of 1-2 months for writers and literary translators
· Residency of 1 month for arts and cultural educators
The grants are funded by the Austrian Federal Chancellery within the framework of its Artist-in-Residence-Programme. KulturKontakt Austria acts as an advisor and provides organisational support.
What can be expected from the residency?
· Residencies are provided in Vienna (all disciplines) or Salzburg (only visual arts, photography, media arts). While requests for a specific place will be fulfilled subject to availability, this cannot be guaranteed.
· Accommodation subject to availability, either in an apartment at the Schloss Laudon Parkdependance (14th district), a room in a flat in Vienna’s 3rd or 9th district or an apartment at Salzburger Kunstverein in the City of Salzburg.
· The assignment of accommodation in Vienna is made by the residency provider. Unfortunately, individual preferences cannot be taken into account.
· Use of a community studio in Vienna’s 2nd district, at Schloss Laudon or at the Salzburger Kunstverein.
· Contribution to cost of living expenses of € 800 per month. In case of absence exceeding 7 days, a pro-rata share of cost-of-living expenses will be paid.
· One-time contribution to art supplies of € 300 for visual artists and composers.
· The costs of translation for one sample text (no more than 10 pages at 1800 characters each) from a foreign language into German for writers.
· Travel expenses as well as visa fees will not be paid nor refunded.
· Accident and health insurance will be provided; insurance cover excludes chronic disease and dental work.
· Each accommodation is provided with WLAN. Notebooks will not be provided.
· For the duration of the stay, a cell-phone with a one-time prepaid credit in the amount of € 40 will be made available to the residents.
· Residents will also receive monthly passes for public transport in Vienna or Salzburg for the duration of their stay.
· Regular cleaning service for the living quarters and change of bed-linen and towels will be provided weekly or monthly, according to the place.
· A presentation of works may be arranged towards the end of the residency (subject to confirmation).
· No financial support can be provided for the production of catalogues, translations, book releases and performances.
· Residents may not bring other people (family members, friends, acquaintances etc.) or pets to the residency. Only residents may spend the night at the accommodation.
· Neither the community studios nor the apartments are equipped for the needs of disabled.
· Compliance with the house rules of the residency is of the utmost importance.
Sector-specific application requirements
Application deadline: 30.09.2018
More Information at --> www.artists-in-residence-austria.at